Re: Misc notes/thoughts.

>  So I have 2 questions:  Any reason not to just go back to a global
> password for dm access?  It gives just as good security as exists now.  Or
> should dm protection be improved (also include authorized hosts/displays
> to become dm from.  Or may add passwords in addition to just names - at
> least it would be 2 things that need to be guessed.)  The other is, is there
> really any reason to restrict dm access from sockets?  Ok.  That is more
> than 2 questions.

Dm mode should be password protected.  Maybe with multiple passwords (any one
of which will work), but you should definitely need to know a password.  I
don't see any good reason why you shouldn't be able to use dm mode from
sockets.

>  Third:  Message output.  A few days ago, I think I said I would probably
> come up with something that would do paging.  But what someone just mentioned
> made a lot of sense - add a scrollbar.  Originally, it was my opinion
> that this is something that is better suited for the client (actually,
> it is still my opinion, but the client isn't going anyplace right now.)

Agreed.  This is definitely a client problem.  As for getting the client
thing happening, I think that what is needed is a mindless version to get
the ball rolling.  In the server, translate any X calls into some ASCII
form and send that.  The client can then convert them back into X commands.
Likewise for any client events.  _Don't_ try to be clever and save lots of
bandwidth - I think this is where the previous discussions got bogged down,
arguing the merits of ASCII vs binary and TCP vs UDP, and trying to get
great algorithms to minimise bandwidth for changes in field of view.  I
would use ASCII to start with for its ease of debugging.

Once there's a working client server separation, then all sorts of things
can be improved - clients can do funky scrolling, remember parts of maps no
longer visible; protocol can be worked on so that it actually does save
bandwidth, etc.

But the big hurdle is the initial separation.  Anyone out there got the
time and inclination?  (I have the inclination, but not the time. :( )

Cheers,
Geoff.

Geoff Bailey (Fred the Wonder Worm)   |   Programmer by trade --
ftww@cs.su.oz.au                      |       Gameplayer by vocation.