Re: hps of classes (class differences)

+--- Karim Sanjabi:
| Yeah, I totally agree.  Magic, with an Int of 28-30 will blow away
| almost anything.  A barbarian/fighter type really isn't so hot
| compared to a a spellcaster when they both get to 15 level or so.

Barbarians have _always_ been a dumb choice if you want to make a
character with potential. It is also the only class which has a
negative sum when totaling the stat modifiers. (Actually, the
barbarian should perhaps get some higher pluses, e.g., Str +5 Con +4.)

+---
| A comment about drinking 4 potions : here on the chico server, even
| the average players, after getting to about 13-15 level, have more
| money than they know what to do with.  It becomes more like "hey,
| which store has Dex potions?" Then a race to that store.  Or even
| worse, a player opens up a bag and chooses which artifact to whip
| out for this specfic encounter.  Ah, room full of dragons? No prob,
| dragonslayer +3.

Then Chico has a serious problem with unbalanced _maps_. Not that I
blame Chico -- it is very difficult to make balanced maps.

That said, the stat advancing is exponential the _wrong_ way. The
effect from raising your stat increases as they go up, but the cost
remains the same. Perhaps you should need to drink 10 potions to go
from 20 to 21?  Suggested formula: max(int(1.15^oldlevel - 6), 1)

That is: to increase your stat, one potion is sufficient until the
stat reaches 15.
  15 -> 16    2 potions
  16 -> 17    3
  17 -> 18    4
  18 -> 19    6
  22 -> 23   15
  29 -> 30   51

If you like, you could make it random, so that your odds for advancing
your stat from 24 to 25 is 1 to 22 against.

Kjetil T.