Re: One bug, and a suggestion

Anthony Baxter writes:
->
-> This reduces the nastiness of death a whole lot. Making these mods removes
-> some of the tension (the "oh my god, I'm going to diiiiiiie" feeling when
-> your level 5 character does something stupid :) and makes it more a "oh
-> dear, what a pity, no matter, wont take long to get the points back"
->
-> Under your mods, do your items just drop to the ground, like they do with a
-> normal death? If so, the loss of items is probably not that big a deal,
-> since you could just run in on autopickup mode and grab them all (assuming
-> you havent got something like a Dread hanging around.)
->
-> Only one level is kinda light penalty... maybe make it something like 'half
-> your exp', or something - and for kiks, leave the pet there, but make it
-> become hostile like an ordinary monster. (nethack ghosts, anyone?)
->
-> All this IMHO, of course.
->
-> Anthony
-> --
->  anthony baxter                 australian artificial intelligence institute
-> email : anthony@aaii.oz.au         1 grattan st, carlton, australia 3053
->     /\/\||                                  phone : +613 663 7922

	Part of the reason we suggested this mod (I am one of the
people here at ODU who got totally addicted and have been staying up
to 4 and 5 in the morning playing this damm game -thank you frank )
was that some of the maps in crossfire are not indicitive of survival.
Its rather annoying when you walk into the first level of a tavern and
get wiped out by the skull there as soon as you enter. Alot of the
maps are designed more as a "screw you" than an "entertain you" which
INHO is bad. I mean its rather annoying when you biuld up to a 10th
level character and you get hit out of nowhere with no warning at all
with 20 wyvern's to deal with. I think it is enough of a deterent(sp)
to lose a level and a half (actually its a bit more than that). Also
in terms of game play, by just out and out dying you put a
dispurpostionate amount of people at the low levels ( where there
really is only on town that they can survive in, I personally am
trying to rectify this by making more low level maps ) and you get a
few people who can go to a few more places ( but are still restricted
because joe 10th level definately won't risk his character against
more than one wyvern or three beholders, he is going to stay with the
safe low level dungeons taking all the action away from the low level
characters). So basicly something needs fixing and a comprimise needs
to come ffom someplace.

P.S. I am certainly not putting this game down. Its great! Its just I
see a potential for it to be so much better!!

					God the Mighty Wizard
					matt@cs.odu.edu