Re: One bug, and a suggestion

>	Part of the reason we suggested this mod (I am one of the
>people here at ODU who got totally addicted and have been staying up
>to 4 and 5 in the morning playing this damm game -thank you frank )
>was that some of the maps in crossfire are not indicitive of survival.
>Its rather annoying when you walk into the first level of a tavern and
>get wiped out by the skull there as soon as you enter. Alot of the
>maps are designed more as a "screw you" than an "entertain you" which
>INHO is bad. I mean its rather annoying when you biuld up to a 10th
>level character and you get hit out of nowhere with no warning at all
>with 20 wyvern's to deal with. I think it is enough of a deterent(sp)
>to lose a level and a half (actually its a bit more than that). Also
>in terms of game play, by just out and out dying you put a
>dispurpostionate amount of people at the low levels ( where there
>really is only on town that they can survive in, I personally am
>trying to rectify this by making more low level maps ) and you get a
>few people who can go to a few more places ( but are still restricted
>because joe 10th level definately won't risk his character against
>more than one wyvern or three beholders, he is going to stay with the
>safe low level dungeons taking all the action away from the low level
>characters). So basicly something needs fixing and a comprimise needs
>to come ffom someplace.
>
>P.S. I am certainly not putting this game down. Its great! Its just I
>see a potential for it to be so much better!!

I agree that something should be done about the way dying works on this
game.  I've spent about 40hrs playing it so far and I'd say that about
90% of that time has been spent just going through the same old first
level rooms (where I can survive!) which gets really boring after
awhile.  My suggestion for improving the game would be this.  Why not do
lives sort of the way arcade games are done (say that at every 6 levels
one gets an extra "life" or resurrection).  This way players still have
a strong incentive not to die but maybe are a little more willing to
explore new maps etc. because if they die they won't necessarily get
stuck back in the beginner rooms again.  It seems to me that this would
achieve a good balance between death and making the game interesting to
play.

Also, I think that the suggestion about improved instructions is an
excellent one since there are a lot of things which just are not clear
about the game (I still can't figure out how to use keys!)  Preferably
instructions could come with the help command (or at least the help
command could say where further help is available) since it takes awhile
to realize that more details can be found in city hall.

Finally,  I did want to report a minor bug that I noticed in the new
version.  When one readies a wand the screen is no longer properly
updated to reflect the wand that has been readied (try readying one wand
and then switching to another).

Anyhow,  I still think that this is a great game but I think that some
of these suggustions could make it even better IMHO.

Corwin