Re: Crossfire nee XGolem

> A small problem has cropped up here on the campus dealing with golems.
>
> Basically, the tactic is to put a wall between you and the mondo monster
> from hell.  Then create a golem and send it around behind the monster.
> You get the exp for the golems kill.  the monster ignores the golem.
> You Win.
>
> The obvious solution is to have monsters attack golems that are standing next
> to them.  If I get around to implementing this I'll send the patch.
>
> --JT

Moonchilde has made some interesting comments in the past week, but
our players here are of a different opinion on two points: the power
of burning hands and the power of golems.

Burning hands cannot be used to the exclusion of other tactics or you
will never acquire any treasure.  Therefore it imposes its own limit.
It's a nice area of effect spell that I am glad is available, but the
lust for new treasure is too great (and the acquisition of spell
points too low) to use it often.  Since soon only mages/priests (or is
it just those with high INT/WIS?) will be able to cast spells, I
cannot see weakening its power.

There are certain maps that would be very difficult/impossible to
clear without golems.  They are almost a necessity against Grim
Reapers, since they (Grim Reapers) are immune to other forms of magic.
Golems can't be used to the exclusion of other tactics since you would
eventually run out of food (since they are slow).  As to whether
golems are attacked, I think they already are.  Take them up against a
scorpion once and see how fast they dissolve.

Doug Crabill
Rich Bingle
Byron Burke