Re: Crossfire nee XGolem

First, let me say that I have, as usual, forgotten the CC: crossfire when
answering mail lately...  bear with me 8)

> > Basically, the tactic is to put a wall between you and the mondo monster
> > from hell.  Then create a golem and send it around behind the monster.
> > You get the exp for the golems kill.  the monster ignores the golem.
>
> Burning hands cannot be used to the exclusion of other tactics or you
> will never acquire any treasure.  Therefore it imposes its own limit.
> It's a nice area of effect spell that I am glad is available, but the
> lust for new treasure is too great (and the acquisition of spell
> points too low) to use it often.  Since soon only mages/priests (or is
> it just those with high INT/WIS?) will be able to cast spells, I
> cannot see weakening its power.

Currently only INT makes a difference, but priests tend to have good
intelligence as well as wisdom.  Wisdom and spellbooks will be put to use in
the next version, so things should be fairly balanced..
I'll try to make it possible for monsters (at least the smart ones) to dig
through player-made earthwalls.

> There are certain maps that would be very difficult/impossible to
> clear without golems.  They are almost a necessity against Grim
> Reapers, since they (Grim Reapers) are immune to other forms of magic.
> Golems can't be used to the exclusion of other tactics since you would
> eventually run out of food (since they are slow).  As to whether
> golems are attacked, I think they already are.  Take them up against a
> scorpion once and see how fast they dissolve.

GrimReapers are immune to physical damage, thus golems can't hurt them
either.  Only all *other* types of spells can hurt the much feared
Mr. Reaper.  Due to a wierd bug it was still possible to "kill"
them with the golems in previous versions, but it should have been fixed
in version 0.86.

Golems are attacked, but unfortunately only by the monster they attack, not
it's neighbours.  I'll eventually make a more general method for
keeping track of peaceful/neutral/hostile monsters.

Newsflash: Vidar just finished his latest monster, the Titan.  It consist
of 72x72 pixels and carries a special artefact (huge hammer).

-Frank.