Re: (ASCEND) Ascend Max T1 and FR backup

>From: "Tim Brown" <tim@sumter.net>
>
>>When you decide how you're going to tackle it, tell the list and
>>we'll try to help.
>I was thinking about using BRI and connecting an ISDN modem to the WAN port
>on the Maxen. Is there an ISDN modem with a V.35 connector? Though at one of
>the POP's I'm already using the WAN port--on a 4048 I have CT1 going to the
>two Max T1 ports and a CSU/DSU connected to the WAN port to do the FR. Is
>there a BRI card for a Max 4xxx? Is it expensive?

There is a BIR card for Maxen. It's undoubtedly expensive, but you
might be able to find a used one by asking the list nicely. I'd guess
that the BRI card might be somewhat easier to get working for your
purposes than a TA.

I don't personally know of a TA with a v.35 adapter, but I'll mention
in passing that Netopia makes a DSL "CSU" with one for this sort of
thing. Now _there's_ a nice backup solution, DSL availability gods
willing.

>  >with a T1 being backed up by a BRI, both connected to the same
>>Pipeline 130, and also with a BRI plugged into a Pipeline 75 backing
>On the P130 that you have both T1 and BRI, how do you have the routing
>setup? Is it setup so that the BRI line is dialed and link established when
>the T1 drops?

Lucent actually has a paper on this on http://www.esight.com/ that
explains exactly how it works and how to do it, but yes, it's fully
automatic.

--

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/