Re: (ASCEND) PRI

> As for not being able to deliver BRI, I don't know if this is normal.  Our
> market covers some fairly rural areas, and as far as I know, BRI is
> availiable throughout our entire coverage area.

Meant to respond to this earlier...

PRI is delivered using T1 (B8ZS/ESF) technology, which, partly because it's
relatively established technology and partly because telcos are willing to
install equipment if necessary to deliver it, can be provided almost
anywhere.

BRI is, to some extent, a (single pair) technology unto itself, and it has
distance limitations.  It doesn't work if you are too far from your telco
Central Office.  This means it works well in urban areas, reasonably well in
suburban areas, and not very well at all in rural areas, because most people
exceed the distance limitation, and carriers usually can't (or won't)
financially justify the expense of installing the necessary electronics
somewhere along the way to deliver it to "remote" locations.  It's one thing
to do that for a PRI (at $500-$1000 a month); it's quite another to do it
for a BRI (at $50 a month or so).

If you're in a rural area, your CO is more than 5 miles or so from most
subscribers, and the phone company is installing BRIs anyway, you've got an
unusually good phone company!

-Tony