(ASCEND) No Carrier Detect from MAX 6000

We just upgraded two of our reliable MAX 4048s, both using the 7.0.22 code
without any problems.  We installed two MAX 6000 with the same 7.0.22 code.

The 4048s had v.34 modems, the new 6000s have v.90 modem cards.  Since the
upgrade, anyone dialing in, VIA LONG DISTANCE, with a v.34 analog modem only
has a 1 in 5 chance of connecting.  The modem never receives a carrier
detect from the MAX, and the MAX writes a disconnect code of PC on other end
disconnected (185).

We have worked with Ascend, and they too are having a problem finding the
answer.  We upgraded to the 7.0.4 code (as they suggested), but that hasn't
helped.  We seem to only have the problem on boxes that have more than one
PRI, so we turned off Clock sourcing from the second and thrid PRIs, but
this too has had no effect.

Does anybody have any other ideas, or have they experienced similar
problems?

Thanks,
Mark Reece
RNA/Systems Engineer