Re: (ASCEND) troy's broken box

> ** it is not a requirement that you break previously working features to
> ** add new ones--and iirc joe shaw pointed out it would be more useful to
> ** most of us to stabilize the software with the features we all use
> ** everyday before munging it up with new ones.
> **
>
> Bingo!

I think we can all agree here that everyone has different requirements on
their RAS box.  Sure, the basics are the same, but very few people configure
the box with a basic config (this is shown by the number & type of postings
on this list).  The users I see who configure the box with minimal features,
have their boxes just sit there & do their thing.  Sure the occasional Power
supply, modem card, but that's about it.

> ** i get the feeling this os is too fragile--inadequate modularity or
> ** memory management, perhaps also not enough separation between osi
> ** layers.  have you ever had the ethernet on a linux box start dying
> ** because you added some new feature?  (i haven't).

I agree, but if any other vendor had a 'perfect' solution, wouldn't we all
be using it.  There are boxes out there with a lot more issues than Ascend
have.

Ash