(ASCEND) null route for disconnected dial-up users?

We have all our dial-up users on the same subnet.  When packets arrive
for disconnected users (e.g. SMTP), our MAX4030 sends them via the
default route, and our router bounces them straight back to the MAX, and
so on.  This is causing needless traffic to pass through our router and
also doesn't look very elegant.

When we had a Telebit Netblazer we could specify a null route for users
who weren't dialled up.  I couldn't find any way of doing that, but I did
try adding a static route for the subnet, pointing to a non-existent
address on our network.  This was added as a private route, and in any
case we supposedly have RIP switched off, but the MAX kept leaking this
information into our servers' routing tables.

Is there a solution for the packet-bouncing problem?  I'm using version
7.0.0 which is quite stable for us - in fact our MAX has been up for 226
days.  Ideally, disconnected hosts should be unreachable rather than
have attempted connections to them time out.

Stephen