Re: (ASCEND) COMPLETE BULLSHIT

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Troy Settle wrote:

>This is complete bullshit.
>
>I've got a remote POP that consists of the following:

>2 Max 4048's
>2 Pipeline 50's
>1 Homebrew FreeBSD box
>
>Now, out of all these machines, the damn 6096 insists on completely *LOSING*
>it's ethernet connectivity.  I mean NOTHING gets passed on the lan.  Out of
>~380 million packets moved across the ethernet interface, there are only ~6
>million reported collisions.  A collision rate of <2%, so I think it's safe
>to rule out the media, hubs, and other devices as possible culprits.
>
>The quick, temporary fix is to go into Ethernet -> Mod Config -> Ether
>Options, and change something... ANYTHING, and *BOOM* the etnernet starts
>working again.

I'm guessing that they sent you a flaky unit.. you mention later that you
had already RMA'ed a few.  Some companies only send 'refurbished' units
out as replacements... I'd contact them and make sure they send you a
brand new unit.

We just put in our first 6048 and it went OK, granted that Ascend isn't my
first choice of vendors.

David M. Lloyd                  mailto:david@inxpress.net

Administrator
Internet Express, Inc.