Re: (ASCEND) RIP-v2 timing parameters on MAX?

On Thu, Jan 29, 1998 at 01:01:13PM +0600, Joseph Bridgewater wrote:
> [...]
> So, does anybody know what would be ideal settings for the above timing
> parameters on that router?

Can't help you here but it seems Ascend uses pretty normal timing (30s
update, some minutes expire) and sends immediate updates whenever a route
changes. I simply didn't have any problems yet.

> BTW, I saw one message here that indicated if a MAX is set for: RIP2 Use
> Multicast=Yes then RIP will only communicate with other Ascend products,
> and only if they are configured for multicast.  Anybody else have any
> comments on the MAX implementation of Multicast?

To my best knowledge RIPv2 Mcast is completely independent of the Mcast
stuff configured elsewhere in the Ascends. We have a setup with several
Maxes (including 1800 and 2k) and a central Cisco and another one with
a 1800 and a P50. All of them use RIPv2 Mcast and it works. The point
here is that it works against Cisco and against the 2k which lacks any
further Mcast support. I also remember that there was a _bug_ fixed at
some time which caused a standard violation of RIPv2 Mcast. But I have
not yet seen problems with it.

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |