Re: (ASCEND) Pipeline 130

On Thu, Jan 29, 1998 at 10:46:02AM -0800, Peter Lalor wrote:
> >From: Chris Rose <crose@datacommproducts.com>
> >
> >Looking through the various newsgroups, I have noticed some concern
> >about the Pipeline 130 being able to run at full T1 speeds.  Are these
> >supposed problems related to a certain vintage of Pipeline, or code?.
> >
> >I have also heard complaints about Frame Relay connections with the
> >P130.
>
> I haven't tried a full T1 with a Pipe 130 yet, although I'm about to. We
> have had no problems running several of them at 128k, both Frame and
> point-to-point. None of them have particularly current code.

We have done a performance test with a P130/V.35 connected to an E1
CSU/DSU ("Primus") over to a Max2000 E1 port using an E1 crossover
cable. The theoretical max throughput of this setup would be 2 MBit/s.
The P130/E1 officially states that it cannot handle more than 1.544
MBit/s on the V.35 port (which means full T1 speed). With tcpblast
we could proof that the setup indeed can reach this throughput (~1.4) so
there is no general technical problem with it. However this was exactly
one connection (not a typical ISP/POP uplink with tons of concurrent
flows), a very simple routing (almost nothing but a default route for
the uplink) and everything turned of that may degrade the performance
(no filters, no ASA, plain PPP, no VJ, no Stac [VJ and Stac seemed to
deteriorate the link in terms of RTT more than it would be worth]).
Make your picture.

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |