Re: (ASCEND) Q. Is there an inherent restriction for P75 not able to use static IP for NAT?

At 22:46 1998/01/26 -0500, you wrote:
>A while ago I was told by an Ascend Tech Support that I must have
>a "Dynamically assigned" IP for NAT to work on my LAN. So I switched the ISP
>that provided me with a static IP to one that dynamically assigns one.

It _can_ be dynamic, but it is not a requirement,
after all, is the pipeline really going to know
if I just happen to randomly assign it the same IP every time? ;^)

>1. use a single static IP on P75, and use NAT (200.200.200.x)
>on the rest of LAN. Use filter to forward all packets destined to port 80
>to one machine (say 200.200.200.201) which runs the webserver.

yes, it does work, and I even have one customer
with a nailed up connection (perm/switched)
that is doing this with one address -> 30 internal hosts,
works fine except that they have to reboot their router
every few days to clear up NAT buffers or something,
but that's just because its a 24x7 connection...

-Jim H
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D