RE: (ASCEND) Q: Status of OSPF in 5.0Ap36

At 10:47 1998/01/27 -0800, Kevin A. Smith wrote:
>At 10:25 AM 1/25/98 -0800, Peter Lalor wrote:
>>Often, many things are still fine even if OSPF isn't running, so just
>>getting it going again would be nice. Of course, if it quit for some
>>ghastly reason, it might not be reasonable to expect it to start up again
>>just because you told it to.
>
>So, a restart-OSPF option....maybe?

A definite plus if you are just making config changes,
and it certainly couldn't hurt in other situations.
The two most common ways I see OSPF fail are:
        1> crash and reboot the max
        2> crash and just stop

right now #2 requires a reboot, if they can correct that,
or even have a watchdog that restarts OSPF automagicly,
were at least 50% better off, but I won't even guess how difficult
it would be to make sure all OSPF memory is dealocated,
all processes get killed, etc., in order to restart it.

-Jim H
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D