(ASCEND) radius accounting issue

I'm working on some neat stuff dealing with radius accounting.  One of
these things is setting up a web page where our users can go to see their
connection stats (ie. connect speed, time spent online, disconnect
causes, etc).

I've got things pretty much laid out the way I want them, but I'm having
a problem authenticating users (boss is of the opinion that this is
propriatary information, so username/password is required).
Unfortunately, I've got a shadow password file (don't we all?), and need
to find an alternate way to authenticate users.  One idea that seems
good, is to do it based on IP address, looking at the most recent start
record with the address in question.  GLITCH: not all start records
include the assigned IP address.

Second option:  perl function or external bin to query the radius server
with username/password to authenticate the user (I'm not sure I like
this, but it should work fine).  Does anyone have some simple code in
perl or C that will do this?

Third option: you tell me...

--
  Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
  Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services

BTW: For those of you interested, I'm logging the radius accounting
information to a mysql database, and using perl cgi (for now) to query
the db.  If you have some tools along these lines, I would be very
interested in seeing them.  Also, if you are interested, I can post the
one script I have so far.