RE: (ASCEND) Q: Status of OSPF in 5.0Ap36

At 02:13 PM 1/23/98 -0800, Kevin A. Smith wrote:
>At 06:56 PM 12/9/97 -0500, Dave Van Allen wrote:
>>Oliver, unfortunately you must reboot to get OSPF running and to make
>>most changes.  This is truly inconvenient and bad design, and no don't
>>look for a fix anytime soon.
>
>I'm looking at building the case for fixing this (assuming it is possible)
>and need to understand why it is "truly inconvenient"? How often do
>admins typically have to change OSPF settings? Can't these be done at
>scheduled maintenance/downtime ?

What we want is to NEVER reboot any of our equipment for any reason.  Now
I'm sure I can agree it's not practical to load a new sw rev without
rebooting, but we certainly do NOT want to reboot simply because we changed
some configuration setting.  Didn't you ever notice the irony of M.S.
asking "Do you want to restart your computer now?".... of course NOT; what
we WANT is to NEVER restart our computer!

For an ISP, rebooting a 4000 or a server can be like rebooting your
business!