RE: (ASCEND) Q: Status of OSPF in 5.0Ap36

At 06:56 PM 12/9/97 -0500, Dave Van Allen wrote:
>Oliver, unfortunately you must reboot to get OSPF running and to make
>most changes.  This is truly inconvenient and bad design, and no don't
>look for a fix anytime soon.

I'm looking at building the case for fixing this (assuming it is possible)
and need to understand why it is "truly inconvenient"? How often do
admins typically have to change OSPF settings? Can't these be done at
scheduled maintenance/downtime ?

>As for stability, OSPF runs very well on the latest releases as long as
>you keep it simple, use just a single area, and never let the box get
>too busy.  If it does get CPU bound or memory bound, the OS seems to
>want to crash OSPF pretty quickly.

5.0Ap42 is purported to be even better. We do seem to have licked the
FE29 problem. [Believe me I have every extremity crossed right now!]

>That means half load of modems, no or very light filters, etc.  We run
>quite a few Maxen with 48 modems and 2 PRIs only, and rarely (almost
>never) ever have any problems at all. No FE's no sudden resets, no
>routing problems, and adequate performance.  More, it's been that way
>for some time. (modem compatibility issues aside of course)

We have had this release running on MAXen with 72 modems and 3 PRI.

>The 4004 was *marketed* to make you believe that it could handle 72
>modems, HDLC, features enabled, route this, bridge that, RIP, OSPF, la
>da da.  It was engineered quite differently.

Kevin