Re: (ASCEND) NAT

At 07:32 PM 1/1/98 -0600, Don Dykes wrote:
>Has anyone else had difficulty with the NAT implementation in the P75 or P85
>when using an (ISP assigned) IP address which has one of the octets less
>than
>100?  For example, if you were given an address of 210.34.171.51 from an
>ISP,
>and you tried to FTP from some sites, the FTP would fail?

I'm replying to you right now from behind a P75/NAT which is *currently*
assigned 192.168.169.8

>The problem seems to be created by the Pipeline issuing PORT commands with
>leading zeros for the address parameters, e.g. 210,034,171,051.

What version is this, as I thought that problem had been fixed a while ago?

>Some
>implementations of the ftp daemon (wrongly) allow those leading zeros to
>trigger
>the octal conversion so the IP address comes out wrong (in the example,
>210.28.171.41 would be the result).
>
>[What follows is mostly ranting on my part.  Feel free to ignore this
part, but
>I would hope that someday this problem could get fixed.]
>
>I think the problem has been around for a while since the documentation
>mentions that address on the local network should have each octet > 100
(and I

That only referred to the local addresses that you assign on the LAN, the
assigned address was not involved in this.

>REALLY appreciated having to renumber my local lan) and documentation usually
>takes a while to produce.  Since this IP address is not within my control
(the
>ISP assigned it to me) I can't very well just choose a more suitable address.

You should not need to.

>While I agree that decimal values can have leading zeros, and the RFC is
clear
>that the values of PORT are decimal, that doesn't help when the ftp daemon or
>remote OS or whatever decides to ignore that.  Does the Pipeline *have* to
send
>those leading zeros?

I wouldn't have thought so, and I was under the impression that the FTP
problem
had been fixed. I'll check into it, but which version SW are we talking about?

Kevin