(ASCEND) Max 1800 with 5.0Ap16, Error Code #164

We have a Max 1800 running 5.0Ap16, switch type=Japan, 4
BRIs with 1 modem card for analog dialup, connected to
a Cisco 2501 via a crossover cable.

The Max 1800 would lose network connectivity after about
30 minutes - 1 hour.  We've replaced the tranceiver, cross
over cable and even a different Max 1800 (one that works
fine elsewhere).  Power supply is on UPS.  Also tried direct
power from the wall outlet.

When it crashes and we try to go to the terminal server
mode, it comes up with an error message "#164".  Does
anyone know what this code means?  I've been unable to
find it in the manuals or on Ascend's web site.

Thanks in advance.