Re: (ASCEND) Re: [Private] comp.dcom.sys.ascend

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Matt Holdrege wrote:

> Thus my point earlier about filtering the mail. If you don't want to see
> spam and cross-posting, keep subscribed to the mail list. The mail list
> can be configured to reject those.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't have so much faith in the mail filters.
How do you filter "spam"?  It is a hard thing to put your finger on.  It's
like pornography, you can't define it but you know it when you see it. But
you can't tell that to a mail filter!  What about crossposting?  Maybe you
can filter crossposts, if they are obvious, but what of a spam mailer that
posts the message to every group individually instead of all at once?  Or
what if the user simply crossposts to comp.dcom.ascend and
comp.dcom.cisco?  Should that be filtered?  What about the lusers that
simply post to everywhere in comp.dcom?  Do we want to set a policy about
whether these should be filtered or not?  Where do you draw the line?

I still don't like the newsgroup idea.  Simply make the mailing list
prominent on the support page, anyone that can't find that should probably
look harder anyway before asking for help!  :)