Re: (ASCEND) Pool summary not working, any ideas?

> That was it, thanks a bunch for that information! The pool-summary now
> works as advertized :)
> BTW, I used the following static route entry. I'm just wondering, are
> the  default settings (especially metric and/or preference) ok or
> should they be "fine-tuned"?
>
> 90-401
>  x Name=pool_1
>  x Active=Yes
>  x Dest=194.64.165.0/27
>  x Gateway=127.0.0.2
>  x Metric=8
>  x Preference=100

This entry looks good. Really, metrics and preferences hardly matter
unless you have more than one route going to the same place. In that
case the route(s) with the lower metric(s) and preference(s) take
precedence.

I would usually recommend using a Metric of 1 unless you have some
reason to use a higher one. With some protocols, such as RIP, if the
metric gets too high (it grows by one for each router hop), the
route will be considered unreachable.

Here's a bit more information about how Pool summary works for the
benefit of the list:

With Pool-Summary=No (the default), one host route will be announced
for each active connection which is using one of the pool IP addresses.
This works, but can mean lots of routes get announced.

With Pool-Summary=Yes, these host route advertisements are suppressed.
The max does not in this case automatically replace them with a global
route for the pool, it simply supporesses the host routes. That is why
you have to generate the global route yourself.

-Phil