Re: (ASCEND) Re: 5.1Ap9 for Pipelines (features and Linux setup as well)

At 11:12 AM 1/15/98 -0800, James Johnson wrote:
>At 01:42 AM 1/15/98 +0000, you wrote:
>>On Sat, 10 Jan 1998 02:39:46 GMT, sevenup@slip.net (Mark Moorcroft) wrote:
>>
>>I have since looked at syslog output via Linux/syslogd since I can't get
>>syslogd
>>working under Win95. The P75 wants an IP for syslog, but since I use a
>>dynamic
>>IP I can't assign one under Win95.

Your Win95 box gets a dynamic IP, or the P75 via with NAT?

>>I don't see a whole lot of useful info
>>provided by the P75 syslog output. It does not even pass the calling
>>number to
>>the log :-(
>
>I wrote my own syslog for Win95, not fancy, but it works. On occasion I
>have seen the calling number passed into syslog. I don't know what the
>conditions are for this to happen but it does happen.

There is also a freeware version on our FTP site under utilities -
syslogd.zip - it works on winNT and Win95 (I've verified both).

>Are you using NAT?
>
>One thing you can do with the Pipe is assign it 2 IPs. For my network at
>home I have the Pipe assigned 192.168.100.102, and various workstations on
>the same net. The Pipe also gets an IP from my ISP (via PPP negotiation).

Me too ;-)

>With this configuration I can assign a workstation to run syslogd, and have
>the Pipe forward syslog info to that machine (on the 192.168 net). Ofcourse
>I am running NAT (Multi-IP), so this works perfectly fine.

I'm running single-IP NAT and 4 workstations....

Kevin