Re: (ASCEND) Modem at Console Port of a Max/Pipeline?

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, norbert wegener wrote:

> It would be a good thing to attach a modem to the console port, that I
> could dial up the Max/Pipe, if it does not come up again.

This is useful anyway.  One time I bungled my firewall rules and couldn't
telnet in to fix them!  (oops)

It should not be hard.  There are two things you need to beware of,
though.  First, your modem must be set to auto answer!  Some modems
default to auto answer on, most don't.  Some (not many) you can set with
a jumper or a dip switch.  If your modem is not set to auto answer, you
must set it (usually with an AT command).  It is also best to set your
modem to quiet result codes, to minimize the amount of "garbage" sent to
the Max when it connects.  Finally, make sure that the speed of the modem
UART is the same as the speed of the Max UART.  Under some circumstances
the Max resets is UART speed to 9600, make sure your modem serial port is
set to this too!  It is best to just leave everything at 9600 to minimize
the chance of confusion, there shouldn't be much suffering because of
it since hopefully you will not have to use this often!

Of course, setting auto answer is usually not possible without typing an
ATS0=1 command into the modem port.  So bring your laptop when you go to
set it up.

Finally, be sure not to use the "null modem" cables which come with the
Max.  Use a regular serial cable instead otherwise your transmit and
receive pairs will be wrong.