Re: (ASCEND) NetBlazer to Max connectivity

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Peter Lalor wrote:

> I have a client with a Telebit NetBlazer LS-ISDN attempting to connect to
> my Max TNT or 4000. Regardless of which device he calls, I get Cause 41,
> Progress 77 and he doesn't get anywhere.
>
> >From what I can glean, Cause Code 41 is "Failure to converge on PPP LCP
> negotiations.", and Progress Code 77 is "LCP State Ack Sent." This sounds
> like the devices are failing to negotiate PPP successfully.
>
> Has anyone gotten these devices to talk?

I'm using one at the moment, hooked up to a MAX 4004.  The one thing that
you might want to have the client check is that the Chat Script is set to
pap-chap rather than ics (which is the default).  They can set this under
Configure>Dialout>chat.  The syntax is as follows:

styx:Top>Configure>Dialout> chat
Usage: chat <dialout> [<chat-script-name>]
 ## Set/display the chat script to use for dialout ##

You can check to see what it's set to by having them type list
<interface-name> in the dialout menu, which'll result in something like
this:

styx:Top>Configure>Dialout> list example
      Name: example
     Phone: 9-555-1234         Characteristics: bridialout
   Timeout: 60 minutes
   Maxwait: 0 seconds
   Minwait: 0 seconds
   Curwait: 0 seconds
   Username: example
   Crypto key: password
   Chat script: pap-chap
   order: lru

Note:  The crypto key (or the password, if you're using PAP) will be shown
in plain text.  At least, this is the case with v3.1 patch 10 (they're up
to 3.32 now)...