(ASCEND) FCC hearing comments on proposed Universal Service Fee for ISPs

I apologize for widely distributing this message across many mailing
lists. I think we'll all agree as net users, that this is an important
issue that needs complete coverage in every forum.

The FCC is currently taking comments from the public and private sectors
regarding the matter of ISP's contributing to the Universal Service Fund
(USF). The USF is a fund that states, local telcos, long distance
carriers, the federal government, and any other telecommunications
carriers contribute to in order to subsidize telecom services to rural
and depressed areas, to insure 'universal access to service'.

The current matter is whether ISP's should be required to contribute to
this fund. The matter has been brought up before after the Telecom
Reform Act of 1996, and was panned when public outcry outweighted the
interests of the telecom companies to have the charge levied. If passed,
the order could potentially raise access costs as much as $5 per line
per month. Costs that would undoubtedly be passed on to the consumer.

Regardless of your stance on the issue, it's important that your voice
be heard in the discussion. It will affect all of us, especially in the
pocketbook, no matter what the outcome. But make sure that the FCC hears
the voice of the public and not just the voice of corporate lobbies.

To find out more info, visit: http://www.fcc.gov/isp.html

To send in your comment, send email to: mailto://isp@fcc.gov

Thanks for your time and understanding.

PLEASE CONTRIBUTE!

Sincerely,
Scott Kozicki
BlueStar Communications
--
"My favorite computer book title: The Complete Demystified Idiots
 Guide to the Zen of Dummies in a Nutshell in Seven Days, Unleashed"