RE: (ASCEND) MRTG and max4000

    Ken> I believe that the problem you described is a limitation
    Ken> of the ascend MIB II implementation and not MRTG.

Hum yes, that's what I was meaning :)
MRTG is an almost-perfect product.

    Ken> Historically, the WAN interfaces did not count octets -
    Ken> why I am not sure.

The thing I see, as a customer, is that Ascend only considers
virtual interfaces, that are dynamically linked to each
connection profile when the connection goes up.
The only exception is the ethernet interface, which is
SNMP-usable.

I can understand why groups of channels on an E1-chanelized
interface are not yet accessible as a real interface (using the
group number for instance), but I cannot understand this for the
physical serial interface.

A Cisco allows you to access each FR subinterfaces (each PVC) and
even each tunnel, as a real interface (with an interface index).
And this DOESN'T change each time the connection goes down and
up.

    Ken> There are workarounds. If it is frame then
    Ken> you can monitor the DLCI - as you mentioned. This is OK when
    Ken> there is one DLCI but when there are multiple it gets ugly.

Exactly.
The worst thing is when you're running PPP on the serial
interface.
You HAVE to use the helpful ascend2mrtg script, but I'd like to
avoid that (after that, I don't have any cisco2mrtg script...)

Regards.

--
David Ponzone / ISDnet / Network Operations Manager  - Email: david@isdnet.net
Work: +33 1 64 53 11 00