(ASCEND) Pipe 50 / ISDN Problems

Hi,

We're having connectivity problems with a customers Pipe 50 and our Max
1800.

The Max 1800 is running s/w 5.0Ap33 and the Pipe 50 has 5.0A.

The Max 1800 is using a NET 3 PTP BRI setting and the Pipe 50 NET3.

Everything works except with a few exceptions using callback.  (Callback
mostly works with this setup.)

The folling happens during those failed sessions:

Our router calls out to the Pipe.

The Pipe accepts the call from our Max.

The Pipe clears the call and reports:

CALL CLEARED WITH CAUSE 41

The Pipe does NOT call back.

Ascend reports CAUSE 41 as:

Cause No. 41 - temporary failure [Q.931] This cause indicates that the
network is not functioning correctly and that the condition is not
likely to last a long period of time; e.g., the user may wish to try
another call attempt almost immediately.

Should this tell me something in particular, i.e., can I localize the
problem with this error message?  I assume the problem is probably
between the customers ISDN connection and Telekom's switch, but have not
seen the problem before.

Has anyone seen this problem before?  Any chance of the problem being
between our Max's ISDN BRI and Telekom's switch?  Since I'm shooting in
the wind here, could it be, God forbid, a software problem with the
particular s/w used?

Any insight is appreciated.

--ron