(ASCEND) pipeline 75 configuration problem

Hey all,

the short story....
I'm having difficulty getting my pipeline 75 to
respond to ICMP traffic when connecting to an ISP
(earthlink)
which assigns me a dynamic IP address. ie I dial
in, obtain an IP address from earthlink, but get
no response
when I ping the IP address which earthlink
assigned to me for that session.  I am able to
surf the net without any
difficulty, but would like to use the IP address
for the session to do some x-windowing stuff....
(more details below)....

my configuration....
a pipeline 75, runing 5.1A+, connected via
ethernet to a single Win95 computer with a static
IP address, using NAT....

Thanks in advance,
Phil.

the long story....
My appologies if this question has been asked
before, I checked the faq and as many of the
applicable threads
in the archives as I could, but didn't find
anything that exactly matched what I'm looking to
do.

I've spent close to 15 hours of actual talk time
on the phone with technical support from both
Ascend and Earthlink
(who have been very nice, just not completely
helpful) and tried several different revisions of
ascend firmware.
I was able to configure the pipeline to dial into
earthlink and surf the web very quickly, but I'm
used to being able to
use the IP adress which is assigned to me during a
session to do stuff.... like use some xwindowing
software to
display 'xterms' from my unix box at work on my PC
at home.  I successfully do this all the time
using a plain old modem
and my dial up networking connection which
provides a dynamic IP, but no one I spoke with at
either Ascend or Earthlink
seemed to think that anyone has ever tried to do
this ???

I understand that many people who use the pipeline
75 probably have dedicated IP addresses which
might make
my problem go away, but is using the pipeline 75
with a dynamically assigned IP address that I can
communicate
with from the outside world an outragously
difficult scenario ?  After stumping ascend with
this for 2 days, they
actually RMA'd my box, claiming the hardware was
causing my problems and sent me a new unit via
special courier.
Their response was exemplary, but the new box acts
exactly the same as the old one... I've got to
beleive this
is a simple (or maybe complex) configureation
issue, probably to do with NAT,
and maybe some combination of static mappings
and/or default servers, I just can't put my finger
on it....

For those who were interested in the long story,
thanks for
listening, I'm kind of at the end of my rope with
this problem, I'm starting to think I should just
return this thing and
go get a simple USR 128k internal unit.....

Thanks again in advance,
any email with ideas, comments, suggestions or
even just to relate similar experiences is
welcome.

Phil.

begin:          vcard
fn:             Philip Loeffel
n:              Loeffel;Philip
org:            Precision Logic, Inc.
adr;dom:        2567 Limequat St.;;;Palm Bay;FL;32905;
email;internet: pelsw@mindspring.com
title:          President
tel;work:       (407) 728-0184
tel;fax:        (407) 674-2352