Re: (ASCEND) 7.10.6 software for the DSL MAX 20

>  > >Also, while the Terminator 100 appears to be able to handle 1000 dlci's,
>  > >there is no mention of whether there are limits on the number of dlci's
>  > >per T-1 interface.
>
> Even if you consider SERIOUS oversubsription, I am not sure how practical
> is 1000 pvcs on 1 T1 line.

<grin> We keep very close records on bandwidth usage on each T-1 and
with DSL it varies according to the usage patterns of the customers.
Currently we are restricted to 120 pvc's per T-1 by our Cisco
equipment.  Utilization of these T-1's averages 5.3% and peeks very
briefly just over 50%.  So we are looking to add another 50-60 pvc's per
T-1 as that should not effect the QoS.  Since these T-1's represent the
lions share of our cost per customer, lowering that 30-40% would make
getting the Terminator 100's very cost effective and would close to
double our net profit on each T-1 (net profit is not linear).

We have seen other equipment that is limited to 60 and 96 pvc's
respectively, so this is a serious question.  If the overhead of BIR on
CPU usage cut the effective number of total pvc's that can be supported
per Terminator 100 chassis to 600, it would still be attractive if it
can handle 200 pvc's per T-1.

--Tony