Re: (ASCEND) Modems stay connected - but connection goes dead

Richard,

I used to see this problem a while ago with USR modems.  I
believe this was a poor interoperability with USR's
implementation of V.42 error control and, to a lesser extent,
V.42bis compression.  You can disable the V.42 error control
protocol on the client's PC by setting the modem's S15 register
to a value of 128.  This will force the modem to use the old MNP
standard for error control.  I don't remember having to do this
in a while though.  I believe updated codes have fixed this.  You
could give it a try and see if helps.  Set S15=128 in the extra
settings field of the modem's advanced properties.

Maryann Sheehan
SCT Corp.
msheehan@sctcorp.com