(ASCEND) MAX 1800 config / problems

I have an Ascend Max 1800 (6.0.0) that I've been trying to config for
remote PPP access exactly like an ISP would do.

I have the thing mostly working for CHAP / PAP type access, but if a user
with a linux box dials up and wants to do standard Login: Password: stuff,
it throws him directly to the terminal server password prompt instead. I
use Radius. How do I get the MAX to ask for a userID / password? Can they
type "PPP" after that to get PPP going?

My radius profile looks like this:
username Password = "password"
  User-Service = Framed-User,
  Framed-Protocol = PPP,
  Ascend-Assign-IP-Pool = 1,
  Ascend-Idle-Limit = 1200

BTW, the ascend ignores the idle limit here, and uses the default
configured on the MAX instead.

The docs that come with the unit are not clear at all, and definatly are
not complete. Is there a good FAQ on how to set one of these up for ISP
use? Trial and error doesn't seem to work...

What I would really like to see is a dump of someones working
configuration (passwords and other critical info X'ed out of course), and
then I could run Diff on it.

On another problem, I'm using an 8-port 56K modem card, and about 50% of the time
when an analog call comes in, the system will not give a carrier. Just sits there
silently, and eventually hangs up. The status screen shows the call being routed
to a modem, but no carrier. I noticed that when the modem is going to work, I
hear a little bee-boop tone before the carrier, and I don't hear it when the
modem does not send a carrier.

Anyone run into this before?

Thanks!

--