(ASCEND) Phantom connections

I recently upgraded my Maxen to 5.0Ap48 release software and things seemed
to work fine for a few days....Now, I have customers complaining about
"phantom connections"!!  They said they can dial in and be using the
service and surfing the web and all of a sudden they cannot surf anywhere
or do anything, yet their Win95 or Apple or Win 3.1 dialers and software
show the connections are still up!!!  They have picked up phone lines and
can still hear the modems chattering, but cannot route or do anything
until they hang up and redial in.  We are using K56Flex modems and IP/RIP
only as far as protocols.  We have the ISDN software loaded as well.  The
56k modems are 12 port models.

Has anyone experienced this problem?  Seems like I saw someone posting
something about turning off either link or VJ compression to help prevent
disconnects....

TIA,

Jim