Re: (ASCEND) Problems with Modems on the suspect list

 FYI, Here is how the Max handles modems on the suspect list. This is
how Ascend explained it to me:

A modem is not moved to the suspect list until after 4 initial failures or
8 failures in a row.   Modems from the suspect list will still be assigned,
but only after there are no modems on the free list.

A determination is made on returning a modem to the free list or to the
suspect list after each call that is answered by that modem.  One
successful call out of eight will cause the modem to be moved back to the
free list.

Session "failures" are defined in terms of call progress, not call
duration.  Any call that results in a successful modem handshake is counted
as "good."  Failure to handshake is counted as "bad."  In the past, it
measured "short" calls - calls shorter than 60 seconds - and logged a "bad"
call as one that was shorter than 60 seconds.

Currently, avm shows calls that have failed to successfully handshake and
bring the modem user to the login prompt.

If handshaking takes 3 minutes but eventually succeeds, that is logged as a
good call.

If handshaking begins and the user manually hangs up before completion of
handshaking, that is logged as a bad call. If handshaking fails between
the modems, that is logged as a bad call. If the call fails anywhere after
successfully handshaking, that is logged as a good call.

Note that this does not provide a direct indicator of good or bad modems.
It is an indirect indicator - we must try to infer the status of the modems
based on the success or failure of calls.  A high number of bad calls does
not nessesarly indicate a bad modem.

Example "avm" output :
 > Modem 6:1, 42 calls, 3 bad, last 32 calls = fbfffbff
The "fbfffbff" is a bit mask of the last 32 calls, the most recent call is
the low order bit.  In binary:
     1111 1011 1111 1111 1111 1011 1111 1111
a "1" is a good call (the modems completed handshake) and a "0" is a bad
call.  Within the last 32 calls there were 2 bad calls, but the last 10
calls were good..  On this modem since unit reset, there were a total of 42
calls, 3 of them failing to handshake.
A "dead" modem is one that fails power up self test or one that has been
disabled with 'modem diag.'

Jason Nealis
Director Internet Operations / Network Access
Erols Internet