Re: (ASCEND) Any ideas on this? PPP Timeouts not working.

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, FastWave - Ascend MAX wrote:

> Most likely, your customer is running an e-mail client which is checking for
> e-mail on a periodic basis. If the 'check for e-mail' time period (say 5 minutes)
> is less than your MAX's idle timeout value (7 minutes), each 'check for e-mail'
> essentially resets the MAX's idle timeout value never allowing it to expire, thus
> keeping the connection up. Have your customer change the 'check for e-mail' time
> period to a value greater than your 7 minute idle timer value, or have the
> customer diable the automatic 'check for e-mail' feature altogether.

I remember reading something in the manual about timeout filters.  You
could setup the filter to NOT reset the timeout for certain protocols,
ports or packets.

Does anyone know if this is possible or am I just dreaming again?

--
Tyler Myers                                     myers@kwiknet.net
Senior Network Engineer                         609-461-1191