Re: (ASCEND) Problem with connecting Solaris Box.

On Wed, Apr 08, 1998 at 10:40:09PM +0000, Oliver J. Albrecht wrote:

> That would confirm the memory leak we were seeing with 6.0.0. on our Max 4000.
> Pools -v dropped below 700K after two days and we went back to 5.0Ap4X.
> We're using filters for a high percentage of our users as well. FWIW, the
> Max 2000 appears to be immune, we installed 6.0.0 the day it was released
> and there are no signs of a memory leak whatsoever (same filters). There are
> no other obvious problems either, like broken routing and/or RIPv2 problems...

We have also Max2000 and 1800s running 6.x without much hassle, the basic
difference is that on the 4000 we have outgoing profiles in RADIUS and
use RADIUS filters while on the others the duplex profiles still fit in
the NVRAM and only small dialup profiles without filters are in RADIUS.
We so far assumed this to be the difference, but maybe it is really a
platform thingy. BTW, we also tested 6.0.2 with a Non-k-load and a V.34
modem card for some days and it _appears_ that the problem with packets
stopping to go out on active links was _not_ there. But I cannot give a
guarantee for that, it was just my humble impression.

For that matter, there _is_ a severe problem with RIPv2 in the 2000 and
1800 versions: It lacks RIPv2 Multicast support so you must go back to
broadcast mode to get RIPv2 running and when doing so you MUST NOT
disable directed broadcast forwarding because this breaks RIP* broadcast
origination (argh). But we now have an official TR number for this RIPv2
Multicast thing, hopefully this is fixed in an upcoming patch. Bad enough
that Multicast support per se is still missing on the 1800/2000...

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |