Re: (ASCEND) Stable code for Max 1800

On Wed, Apr 08, 1998 at 07:08:16PM -0400, Jason Nealis wrote:

>   Ahh, Welcome to the Jungle :), My 1800's have been blowing up for
> the past 6 of months, but the good news is that Ascend Engineering
> seems to be getting real close to solving the issues you are seeing below,
> cause it's the same issues I have.  I had some limited success with
> 5.0Ap46 that should address your circuits keeping signaling, and sometimes
> getting stuck in a certain state.
>
>   More good news is that I just received a test piece of engineering code
> that seems so far to be the best code yet for the 1800's I'd contact
> Ascend support and I'm sure they can lead you to the light :)

Any chance that this load may have a fix for the most penetrant problem
we ever had with 1800s, the (supposed) BRI-out-of-sync problem ? It
happens when you heavily load a 1800 with BRI connections (starting at
6, better full loaded) which go to independend networks (like different
telcos, different PBXs/PBX slots or independend leased lines). It appears
that the 1800 uses _one_ BRI as clock source and gets out of sync if other
BRIs have remarkable swimming away clocks on other BRIs. This causes massive
packet loss with all upper layer protocols (ping measures show up to 50%
lost packets). The problem disappears (on upper layers) when PPP link
compression is disabled, but this is just an observation, no solution.

We have a call open with EMEA support currently (again) because we now
have a Max1800 where the problem can be seen (it has the bad property
of showing only up in RW environments, not in the lab and not if an
Ascend support guy is looking onto it, but in this case we _captured_
it finally). Hopefully this is now escalated - this problem is known for
ages now (more than a year if not two) and was never fixed. But it _kills_
us because the customer whos network deteriorates totally since we sold
him a one-1800-for-two-pipe400-replacement makes _us_ responsible for the
problem and we cannot fix it...

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |