Re: (ASCEND) V.90 Status?

> I hope Rockwell does better with the server-side V.90 modem chipset than
> they did with the client-side modem chipset.
>
> >From what I read in the PC World Online article 2/25/98, a Rockwell
> representative confirmed that Rockwell's existing client-side modems don't
> have enough flash memory to store both V.90 and K56flex firmware at the same
> time, what modem vendors call "dual mode." If dial-in users upgrade to V.90
> before their ISP does,

  I believe we have gone through this before, Quick Re-cap: Until around
February Rockwell pretty much deployed 1MEG ACF Chips in all the client
side modems, These 1 MEG Acf chip modems will only keep 1 version of
firmware at any time in the ACF. Rockwell will simply supply a Wizard or
flasher of some-type that will allow the end user to flash back and forth
to V.90 or KFLEX.

 After Feb..Rockwell started shipping 2MEG ACF chips that will allow the
client side modem to hold ALL CODES, thats right from V.90 to KFLEX to
V.34, Maybe even V.FC and V.Fast. (Dunno), So it shouldn't be a problem
for any users if they have a 2M Acf.

Remember, These modems are going to negotiate KFLEX FIRST!, then they
are going to work up to V.90 :)

FYI, Ascend uses CSM server chips in the NAS which has enough memory to
load ALL codes.

Jason Nealis
Director Internet Operations
Network Access
Erols Internet

 they could find themselves back in the world of V.34,