Re: (ASCEND) TNT 100meg Flooding a Network

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Marc Oleary wrote:

> Just as the subject is.  My 100 meg nic card is flooding my network at 10
> to 60 second increments.  It only lasts a second or two, but its becomming
> very intolerable.  Pauses in telnet sessions, donwloads and other
> resources are all effected.  Our topology is switched by two catalyst
> 1900's (10meg) and a superstack III 100.  Any ideas would be greatly
> appreciated. We downgraded to our 10meg port, but received reports of
> sustained slowness... Kind of a double edged sword.
>
> *ALL* switches are effected and all activity lights blink simultaneously
> during these pauses.
>
> It's only been happening for a day or two.  I upgraded to 2.0 and
> digressed to 1.3.

I had something similar happen.  When I upgraded to 1.3Ap24 and 2.0.0, I
started getting routing problems.  My ethernet ports would just stop
routing, and packets were sent out from the TNT that my Linux boxes
considered to be attacks (TCP SYN floods and UDP packets with bad
offsets).

The solution was to do the following: brouterclip -m 0

This disables the brouters memory ceiling.  Ever since I did that, it's
been working correctly - although if I reboot, I have to do it again since
it defualts to a 640K ceiling.

That may not be your problem, but I'd try it.

Ascend states that future code releases will have the ceiling set to 0 by
default.

				Mike Jackson
				TSCNet