(ASCEND) GRF problems with gated

We are using a GRF 400; it originally was running the 1.3.8 software
but we just upgraded to 1.3.11.

We also use the current release of gated, 3.5.8, on FreeBSD and BSD/OS
machines.

OSPF runs happily between the GRF and the rest of the machines.

However BGP4 sessions last only about 30 seconds.  What happens
repeatedly is that the two routers exchange OPEN statements,
start sending keepalives, then start sending updates -- and then
suddenly one sends another an EOF, the other drops the TCP
connection, and the cycle begins again.

There is no apparent problem with gated 3.5.8.  We have FreeBSD-based
routers running the same release of gated peering with 50-60 peers of
all types (mostly Ciscos, but also every other type of router you can
think of).

Does this sound like a known problem?

If anyone out there is succeeding in getting GRFs and gated machines
to talk BGP4 with one another we would be keenly interested.

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015