Re: (ASCEND) IP Addresses needed for 4048 (fwd)

Re,

On Thu, Apr 02, 1998 at 10:36:55AM +0200, Christian Vogel wrote:
> I just want to note, that if some of your customers use `Log on to Network'
> in their crappy Win95 they send packets to x.y.z.255.

Argh !

I'd assume it actually sends to the classical broadcast (which happens to
be x.y.z.255 for Class C) which is, however, not any better. It actually
goes totally fluffy when you have Class A or B addresses. We are currently
assigning IPs from 62/8 to customers, imagine the poor guy who gets
assigned 62.255.255.224/27 or such - they get a smurf attack for free.
I've already seen this with a Class B as well. M$ could just ask for the
real IP of the NT server and use that unicast, but I don't expect them to
understand the consequences of their doing even remotely (they actually have
the mechanism [lmhosts] but mostly ignore it).

> Because of this, I do not include .255 in our pools and have them blackholed
> at our cisco-routers.

Ok, thats a good idea. There are technical reasons and there are M$
reasons :-/

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |