(ASCEND) Strange Slot 4

We pulled 2 fully working (all 72 lines in use) Max4004's offline in late
January 99.  I sent one off to a gentleman in Texas (sold it), and upon
arriving to him, Slot 4 (60-000) comes up all the time as 'not available'.
Thinking that perhaps something happened in shipping (These were shipped in
original Ascend Boxes), I sent this buyer a 2nd Ascend base unit.  It comes
up *identically* slot 4 won't recognize any of the 12 Mod V.34 Modem cards.

I know the buyer swapped out the unit as I anotated the serial number of
each unit before sending it to the customer.  Anyone ever heard of this
before?  I can believe shipping might damage 1 card slot (unlikely), but
the chances of it occurring twice is beyond belief esp considering the 2nd
(replacement unit) was sent w/o any of the cards inserted in the slots,
only slot covers in place.  I am able to access either unit from my
location via Telnet to confirm the status as the customer has stated it.
Regardless of what working Modem card is put in slot 4, neither unit will
recognize that a modem card is in place.

Any ideas? Clues?? Guesses?

******* Top Net InterNet Services ********
Omaha, Nebraska                www.top.net
            Voice: (402) 339-5609