Re: (ASCEND) Resetting passwords

Hi Adam,
Below are excerpts from some previous replies. The first is for setting
back to factory configuration. There is some variation between models so
it may not apply exactly to the one your customer has but I've seen
several replies that have used this procedure successfully. The second
uses SNMP to discover the password.

P50 later models (6xxxxx  722xxxx)  (P75's as well)

With all cables and power removed, open the case and orient the LEDs
toward you (the front).  Locate the large 1.5" square Motorola chip in the

front right corner. At lower left you will need to short JP1.
Attach the power then the serial cable. Configure the terminal software
for 57600 N-8-1 no flow-control You should see a PIPE50> prompt. Type EF
then DF. If EF returns an error, dont worry.  After typing DF upload the
correct version of the software.  The software is about 450K.ont).  When
complete (2-4 minutes) remove the power cord then remove
the jumper. Replace the box lid and power up. Its now running in a factory

original configuration.depending Reconnect the serial cable using 9600
N-8-1 no flowcontrol and configure as desired.

Jim Howard has some pictures of Pipelines showing the jumper locations for
various models. http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/ascend

Thanks to all who answered my question.  The method described below is
what was successful for me - I used NavisAccess to simplify.  Luckily, I
knew the snmp r/w community string.

I guess this shows the importance of changing the default SNMP community
strings and even securing SNMP by IP address ;-)

Thanks again to all that contributed.

Todd A. Blank
Columbus NAP, Inc.