Re: (ASCEND) Fried S56 in max

  Actually what the smell you are seeing/smelling  is usually a blown
capacitor and the company that ascend buys the capacitor from use a kind
of wax covering, So when the capacitor blows the wax heats up and gives
off that smokey smell.

  I've had a few in my years with Ascend do exactly what you saw, Either
on a modem pack or sometimes on the mother board, My suggestion is just
to RMA the card.

Jason Nealis
Director Internet Operations / Network Access
Erols Internet