(ASCEND) International dial-in problem

I am having a strange problem. I have Max1800's in London, Germany and
Paris. The one in London is functioning correctly, but the other two
refuse to ever connect. They answer and start modem negotiation, but
eventually they just drop off, never having made a modem connection.

I called support and they mentioned something about changing encoding from
u-law to a-law. 3Com support, for the USR modem, said there is not such
thing to change.

The particulars are:

Max1800-bris
Release 5.0Ap42 - ba.m18 software
V.34 modem cards.
All are using a RADIUS server in US, and all are getting routes, etc. from
Radius, so that is working.
I have even tried to make local profiles.
All share the same config file, except for the actual local difference,
like IP address and default router.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Regards...Michael

| Michael Hyman                              Quickturn Design Systems    |
| Manager - ITG                              55 West Trimble Road        |
| mhyman@quickturn.com                       San Jose, Ca. 95131         |
| (408) 914-6409 Voice                       (408) 914-6909 Fax          |
| "Out the 10Base-T, through the router, off the bridge, over the leased |
|       line, past the firewall, down the T1...nothing but Net."         |