Re: (ASCEND) In Defense Of Ascend... (fwd)

> Notes on this list do not count for much when it comes to product strategy.
> This list is for Ascend customers and users to discuss issues pertaining to
> using Ascend equipment. Your suggestions need to go through sales. Or you
> can input directly through the web page at http://www.ascend.com/919.html
>
> And please note that the posters to this email list constitute perhaps less
> than 1 or 2 percent of our customers.

I believe the main reason to buy ascend is features, just as it is
the key reason to use sendmail though both have a long and well known
list of problems.

I suggest that the sw approach (also RADIUS) could be copied
from sendmail:

Ascend would produce their versions of the sw, and they would sell
support for it. The user community would then provide diffs for
platforms ascend is not willing to support.

Ascend could even merge the diffs to the official version tree,
and make clear that Ascend only takes care that they don't break
the supported platforms.

If ISPs want to buy support, they will buy it, and Ascend could
still keep their most innovative customers using and enhancing
Ascend sw.

VesA