Re: (ASCEND) Ascend Max 40xx and v.90 [Q]

> Nope. If the 4000 currently supports K56Flex, it will support V.90 when the
> software is ready.
>
> >Will the Ascend MAX 40xx be backward compatible for K56Flex users that call
> >into a MAX 40xx that has the new v.90 standard on it?
>
> Yep.

 Let me clear this up a little, This is what Ascend Engineering has
informed me : Ascend uses the Rockwell CSM server chip.  The memory is
not in the chip for these devices.  The memory actually resides on the
modem module. Ascend has enough memory on board the modem modules to
contain support for V.90, K56flex, V.FC, V.34, etc.

 BUT, The problems that we are going to see is going to be on the client
side modems, As pretty much most Rockwell Client side modems have been
manufactured with 1MEG ACF chips, These chips will be only able to
support either V.90 OR KFLEX, They WILL NOT be able to hold both codes
and the same time. Rockwell (or the modem manufacturer) will be supplies
a flash loader that will allow the end client to flash the modem to
the protocol of his/her choice, (While the other code will reside on the
users hard-drive)

Going Forward

 Hopefully, Most Client side modem manufactures are going to ship
2MEG ACF modems which will be able to hold BOTH V.90 and KFLEX.

3COM modems have the advantage here, They already have enough room to
load V.90 and X2.

Jason Nealis
Director Internet Operations
Network Access