Re: (ASCEND) In Defense Of Ascend...

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Matt Holdrege wrote:

> Ah, but which one? Who chooses? And what about all those ISP's that use
> FreeBSD and NetBSD? Another thought. If you are going to pay for an Ascend
> commercial software product, why not pay for a Unix commercial product?

1: When an OS level DoS is reported to major security lists and
organizations, it's ALWAYS the free OSs that have the patch out.  When
the Ping of Deat was reported, linux had a patch out hours later.  Same
with teardrop, and countless others.

2: In general, most commercial *NIX products cost thousands of dollars,
not including hardware (SGI, SUN, HP, etc.).  I would think most ISPs (who
are the bulk of your business, no?) aren't usually able to spend thousands
of dollars for pricey UNIX hardware and licenses for the OS.

3: Isn't Caldera and RedHat considered a commercial *NIX?  It's POSIX
compliant and comes with support.

4: Have you ever tried to get support for a commercial UNIX?  I have, and
I must say I'd rather use Linux.  The community supports it.

5: One would think that if it compiles on one Linux distribution that it
would compile on them all (GNU CC, and the same headers and lib files).

6: I've been an ISP who ran FreeBSD.  You guys were pretty apathetic then,
and I can only assume that you still are.

7: Most people are zealots as far as their operating systems go.  It
doesn't matter that it's not commercial, because it works.

> Matt Holdrege		http://www.ascend.com	matt@ascend.com

But I digress, because I just ended up hacking out my own radius when you
guys wouldn't/couldn't support me.  It's a wonder that with such a glowing
attitude towards your customers, their equipment and their needs that you
guys have stayed in such good shape this long.

Regards,
Joe Shaw - jshaw@insync.net
NetAdmin - Insync Internet Services