Re: (ASCEND) In Defense Of Ascend...

Let it be known, we use RH Linux completely for operations. While we do
run NT (and even MacOS) servers, they are specifically for customer
applications (sql server, netdynamics, cold fusion, etc.). All the
basics (mail, dns, webserver, ftp, etc) are driven by RH.

We run RH not because of cost (although that helps) but because I can
ask a question and get an answer back usually in 15 minutes from a
knowledgable person. I'm on HOLD longer with Redmond than that! In terms
of performance and high availability, RH's served us outstandingly. It
simply cannot be beat, especially on a cost analysis level. Even if it
cost the same as NT, it would still be a clear winner!

One thing's for sure, Ascend *didn't* conduct a marketing survey before
they decided which flavors to offer here. I'm sure had they done this,
the overwhelming number of networks that run OS's like Linux and BSD
would've trounced the commercial OS's.

If Ascend thinks that it's okay to only support commercial OS's because
that's the only way they can charge for product, then they need to
reevaulate the market. While there might be grumbling by the Linux
community to have to pay for a product that is derivative of free souce,
I'm sure that most of us would pay for a tighter solution/support on
Linux. Take it from your users Ascend, we want you to support this
platform, and we'll pay a fair price for the products on it.

Nuff said.

Scott Kozicki
BlueStar Communications